20131121

Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes


One week until Turkey day! Woohoo!
I am sooooo excited to get into the holiday spirit, eat until my stomach explodes, and decorate my Christmas tree. Next weekends going to be awesome for me.
Also, I'm gonna go see Catching Fire. So theres that.


But back to Thanksgiving day, besides stuffing and turkey, mashed potatoes are a big part of the meal.
I like to take a little bit of potatoes, with some stuffing all together in one bite. I like to blend my Thanksgiving foods, probably the only time I like my foods blended, actually.


Mashed Potatoes, are a simple thing to make. Just peel some potatoes, and mix with butter and milk, and a dash of salt and pepper.

In the old days, I would pour some heavy whipping cream into the potatoes to make them extra thick and creamy.

Nowadays, its dairy free butter and almond milk. But guess what, it almost tastes the same.

Heres how you do it:


Peel and cut Yukon gold potatoes into medium sized pieces. Place in large pot, and fill with cool water until it covers potatoes.
Bring water to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.


Mash potatoes with a potato masher (I know, right) then drop in dairy free butter.
I do not like the concept of using an electric mixer to mash them. I find it too gummy and smooth. I like a little texture in my mush.


Add a little bit of milk to help smooth it out, and shake in a little salt and pepper.

The end.
Pretty simple.
So simple, you might wonder why I made a whole post on this topic. You will see tomorrow.

Enjoy!


*there are no exact measurements on this post, because I don't really pay much attention to things like that when I'm cooking mashed potatoes. I think I peeled like 8 potatoes, and added 2 cubes of butter, with like 3tblsp milk. Thats a guess though, the taste test works best while making this dish :)




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!