20130409

Heirloom Tomato Salad



Spring is in the air, and summer is just around the corner!
In reality, I'm not all that excited about it, seeing how sunshine and warm weather aren't really my thing.
But what I am excited about is tomato season. Sunny Saturday mornings at the farmers market, and fresh vegetables from my own garden. (that has yet to be planted yet..oops.)

Living on the central coast has many benefits, one of which is fresh produce all year round. The downside, its ridiculously expensive to buy fresh organic produce when they aren't actually in season. (what is a season anyway, do we even have those?!)


So here they are, my four fresh, local, organic heirloom tomatoes; that cost eight bucks to take home.
So worth it though.

The reason why I went out of my way to buy some tomatoes, was because I was desperately craving a fresh summer salad. You know the kind, fresh and light perfect for a warm summer barbecue. Oh barbecues, how I miss you.


This salad is less a recipe, and more just a quick mixture.

Heres how I made it;

4 tomatoes
1 red onion
1 avocado
Fresh Basil leaves

halve and slice all; toss together.

add a pinch of salt
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar

Thats it!

Super easy-peasy and delicious.


This post was not meant to be a lame ode to tomatoes, but..so it goes.
Now I am totally going to go work on my garden. I'm craving fresh produce!

 Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I can tell you about seasons...Last week we were working in the yard and this week we're under a foot of snow :( No fresh heirloom tomatoes around here for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww...I'll have some waitingfor you when you come visit :)

    ReplyDelete