20120621

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins


I may or may not have purposely let some bananas go bad so I could make some banana bread. Than I did it again a few days later. 

Yup. I made these twice in one week. 

To my credit, I did make the second batch to be frozen.

It just so happens, that only about half of the dozen actually made it to the freezer.

I did give some of them away though, so theres that.

My three little monkeys {aka nephews} also thought they were pretty tasty, so they must be a keeper.

As with the blueberry muffins, I used buckwheat and honey instead of sugar. I also threw in some agave. 
Let me tell you why, honey is cheaper than agave, agave is sweeter than honey, honey has more substance than agave. 

Thats why there is both. Honey to replace sugar, agave to add some more sweet.
It makes sense to me anyway.

You wont miss the sugar, or the gluten or the dairy. I promise. They are amazingly amazing.


Buckwheat Banana Bread 
the original recipe is from me madre, with several changes by muy.

Ingredients:
-1 cup Bobs Red Mill GF all purpose flour
-1/2 cup ground Buckwheat
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 egg
-3 mashed bananas {about 1 cup}
-3/4 cup Honey
-1/8 cup agave
-1/8 cup cooking oil
-a squeeze of lemon juice {about 2tsp}
-1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped walnuts or pecans {or both, if your into that sorta thing}

Directions:

-Preheat Oven to 350degrees
-grease bottom and sides of loaf pan-or-use muffin liners
-In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture;set aside.
-In another bowl, combine egg, bananas, honey, agave, oil, and lemon juice. 
-Add egg mixture to dry mix all at once.
-Stir just until mixed and moist {batter should be lumpy}
-spoon into pan. For muffins, you want to fill almost all the way to the top. they don't rise very far up.
-Bake about 20-25 minutes for muffins/50-55 minutes for loaf, or until toothpick comes out clean.
-cool on wire rack.

makes 1 loaf, or 18 muffins.



scrumptious! 


1 comment:

  1. I love being a taste-tester!! Nothing but yummy so far! :)

    ReplyDelete