20120620

Buckwheat Lemon Blueberry Muffins: gluten, dairy, sugar free!


I've been on a big muffin binge lately. I'm not sure why exactly, but in the last few weeks my breakfast, lunch and dessert of choice is a big deliciously moist muffin.
As I think about it, it started at farmers market a couple weeks ago; I've been on a mission to go to farmers market every week. This involves waking up early every saturday morning and usually missing breakfast to go fill up my little basket with fresh tomatoes and avocados. The first week I went, we happened upon a booth from a somewhat local bakery that I had never heard of before. We stopped due to the gluten free sign that was up, and when it was discovered that the muffins they had for sale where not only gf, but dairy and refined sugar free as well, I had to try one. It was amazingly delicious, and extraordinary moist. 
It had buckwheat.
Buckwheat, which is not actually related to wheat, is a gf grain I did know about, but I had never used before. I have eaten in the past foods made with buckwheat flour, and I even had a bag of it in my freezer, just never quite knew what recipe to use it in-or what texture it would create.
After eating that muffin at farmers market, I decide to make my own and test out the flour. 
I decided this one day at approximetaly three a.m. I had been lying in bed waiting patiently for the sandman to make a visit, when I began thinking about muffins. (yes--I often think myself to sleep with recipes, I wouldn't recommend it) Than I got hungry, and I gave up on sleep happening so I headed to the kitchen and made these guys. Since I was incredibly sleep deprived, I may have gone a little overboard on some things (like the quantity of blueberries) but they turned out great and my tummy was very happy.


Buchwheat Lemon Blueberry Muffins

3/4 cup coconut yogurt
1/4 cup dairy free milk (I used almond milk)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Buckwheat flour
3/4 cup Honey
1/8 cup agave
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup blueberries

-preheat oven to 400degrees
-Mix yogurt, milk, lemon juice, honey, agave and egg in small bowl, set aside.
-Mix together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
-Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
-Fold in blueberries to mixture.
-spoon into muffin tins {to almost the top}, and bake until toothpick comes out clean; about 20-24 minutes.


I have some more muffins coming your way this week!

2 comments:

  1. Those look super yummy! I've never tasted buckwheat before, but I'm always on the search for new grains to grind up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with buckwheat! You don't miss the wheat at all ")

    ReplyDelete