20120307

Rainbow Krispies

  One of the easiest gluten/dairy free to make are krispy rice treats. Even though regular rice krispy cereal is not gluten free,(they do now make a GF variety) there are numerous other cereal brands that taste very similar and are gluten free. Some of the tastiest cereal treats come from using Posts' pebble cereals.
  Since St. Patricks day is coming up, I decided to make this simple treat using Fruity Pebbles. Since the holiday involves rainbows, this colorful cereal was the perfect ingredient. As I was thinking about this treat, and how easy krispy rice treats are to make, I decided to go the extra mile to give it a little more pizzazz. Thats when this simple treat became a lot less simple. I decided to separate the fruity pebbles into individual colors, and layer them in rainbow order. Seems cool right? Well, Hours later, I had barely made a dent in the bag.Therefore, I would not recommend this method.
  Rather than spending so much time separating colors to make a rainbow, you can make the treats with all the colors mixed together-or use food dye to color regular krispy rice.




Krispy Rice Treats

3 tbsp butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz.) Marshmallows
6 cups Krispy Rice cereal of choice

  • In saucepan melt butter over low heat, add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. (can heat in microwave as well)
  • Stir in cereal until well coated.
  • Using buttered spatula, press evenly into 13x9 pan.
* For rainbow treats, separate mixture evenly into 6 bowls. Add food coloring to each bowl. Layer each color in pan
~or~be ridiculous like me, and spend hours upon hours separating fruity pebbles.
Oh yes I did.
It was not one of my brightest ideas although, it seemed like a good idea at the time.