20101116

Fishin'

Theres a secret I've been hiding from you.

I don't like baking.

I totally just rocked your world didn't I.

Who would of thought the cupcake queen hates the very essence of how they are created. This is not a new revelation, I never have liked it. I hate measuring things. I hate greasing and flouring pans. I hate waiting for things to rise and set. I hate that you have to follow directions. I avoided it like the plague, I do the cookin' and my sister did the bakin', it worked well.

The fact of the matter is I'm not a very patient person; I like my kitchen to be in complete chaos when I cook.(which is why my popover pans are still in the sink waiting to get washed...) I love to smell, and chop, and throw things in as I go along. This method of no specific plan generally works for me. (not counting the time I thought it would be a good idea to put cinnamon in a burrito-that plan definintely did not go over well)

Once I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance however, I started to do it out of neccesity. It has become a great challenge to find a way to create gluten free alternatives to baked goods.

My sous chef (aka my nephew Jonah) told me the other day that he likes cooking because its like a science expirement that you can eat. He is very wise for his 7 years.

So tonight, I had no plan for dinner. Many ideas went through my head, all of which required a trip to the store. Since I was in no rush to go out, I searched through the fridge, the pantry, and the frozen items for ingredients.

This is what I came up with:


  • 3 Cod fillets
  • 2 Talapia fillets
  • 1/2 cup Gluten Free breadcrumbs
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 a garlic
  • Dairy free buttery spread


  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Defrost fillets and cut in halves.
  3. Slice onions and garlic. Spread out over pan.
  4. Lay fillets on top of garlic/onion layer.

     5. Whisk butter spread and bread crumbs together. Add herbs to mix.
     6. Layer over fillets.

   7. Cover with foil and insert pan in oven.
   8. Cook for 10-15 mins until fish flakes from fork.


 After slightly cooled, remove fillets from pan. Then, you can either eat onions/garlic mix on the side or you can add it to a vegetable like so:

And Serve!
  
*For those of you who are so distraught over my recent news; don't worry. I will still continue to keep on baking gluten free goodness:)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!