20150615

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Chicken Taquitos || Two ways



I have this thing about myself where I fixate on one thing and then over do it to oblivion until I am so sick of it I never want to think about it again.

This happens with foods, television, music, clothing, and anything else that I see/eat/listen to. 

It's why Netflix runs my life and why I've listened to the Brandon Flowers album exclusively on loop for the last two weeks.

This obsessiveness is also why I could never even begin to be a drinker or drug user. There's no such thing as recreational usage of anything when you are me.

Anyway, in addition to eating salmon cakes like they are going out of style I have developed another food addiction while out of an oven.

Being without an oven meant I suddenly developed this thing with frying foods, which is not a good thing so thank goodness I have an oven again.
Now that I do have the power to bake again, I can continue my taquito love in a slightly healthier way, but because I believe in the power of equal opportunity I shall share with you both methods of cooking these little bundles of joy.


Both methods are equally delicious, but if you are planning on eating them again as leftovers I would recommend the oven method. That way they stay a bit crisper being refrigerated overnight.

First, cook up some chicken breasts with the seasonings of your choice (I used lemon juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, & salt) then shred it up. Mix that with shredded zucchini so we can pretend these are healthy, citrus juice and some fresh cilantro.
Then roll it up in a warmed corn tortilla.
So easy a Carina can do it.

For stove top frying, warm up about an inch of oil then lay rolled taquitos on the seamed side (this will seal in your filling). Flip over when they are golden brown, then after the other side is browned let them cool on a paper towel.

For the oven method: preheat oven to 425deg and cook rolled taquitos for about 10 minutes (until golden brown) then flip over to cook for another 5 or so minutes. 



Enjoy! xoxo

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!