20120507

A Change is Gonna Come & Lemon Meringue Pie

  Its been awhile, I know. My commitment to at least do a post a week has not worked out as well as I hoped. My lack of communication is not because I'm too busy, or because I haven't been cooking up a storm, but simply because I have nothing blog worthy to say. Blogging it seems, is a very different medium then I am accustomed to. I have loved writing for as long as I can remember. My school years where filled with books to be read and stories to be written and praise to be received. I don't recall ever getting anything but exceptional grades for any paper I write whether it be fiction or factual, i even won the occasional award for my musings. It seems however, every time I sit to write a post for this blog, my mind goes blank. I have no cute stories or bright ideas to say about my food other than it was a delicious treat to my belly.
  I started this blog to be a helpful source to others with Celiac disease/gluten intolerances and let them know that along with improving their health, being gluten free can also taste good. I know how intimidating and disappointing that first trip to the grocery store is after diagnoses, and how upsetting it is when you realize that your favorite foods can not be enjoyed anymore. When I first became gluten free, there was barely anything edible to be found at a grocery store,. Besides basic essentials such as meat and produce, gluten free items were only available at specialty health stores, and with a very small selection. Now, I can get an arm full of various products at almost any given store in town. Resources for a gluten free diet are plentiful these days, and as wonderful as that is for the world; it makes me a little less relevant. As if my story, and my recipes are just another one of a billion comparable google results.
  When this blog was created, my intention was not for it to be just baking blog. The fact is a very rarely bake, as opposed to my cooking creations which happen daily. So dear readers, what does this mean for you? It means renovations are starting, we're going back to basics and stirrin' up the pot. I'm sayin' a change is gonna come.
  Starting soon, I 'm going to share my story with you from the beginning. Be prepared for a lot of words, and heapings of heartache as I post my journey of the last four years.
  So you don't get to bored and hungry, I will also be posting some of the foods that make a gluten free lifestyle a little easier. From delicious homemade entrees to my favorite gluten free brands and the best prepackaged goodies on the market.

Speaking of delicious recipes-
Lemon Meringue Pie. Yum.


Lemon Meringue Pie
recipe derived from who knows were-really, if you know--tell me will ya!
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons GF all purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons butter or DF alternative (I used Nucoa)
4 egg yolks, beaten

4 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar

1 9inch pie crust, pre-baked (I used Kinnikinnicks pre-made pie crust which is 8in, and it worked fine) 

  • preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • To make lemon filling:In a medium saucepan, whisk together first four ingredients. Stir in water lemon juice and zest. Cook over med-high heat and stir frequently until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl, and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of lemon mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining lemon mixture. Bring back to a boil and continue cooking until mixture is thick.( Make sure to press out any lumps in mixture) Remove from heat and pour filling into pre-baked pie crust.
  • To make meringue: Whip egg whites in large bowl to foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges around the crust.
  • Bake for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
*Sorry for not having a sliced picture--once it was cut cut it was gone in seconds!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!