20120220

Chips of Chocolate



I've seen a lot of recipes lately with the claim to be "the best chocolate chip cookie ever". I just have to taste it before I will believe it, I mean are there really 50 cookies that are the best? In my humble opinion, there can only be one winner. Therefore, I decided to set out to discover the creme del a creme of chocolate cookies. I settled on my two competitors, revved up the KitchenAid, and put on my apron. I measured, stirred and scooped up the gooey dough until before me I had the gluten free versions of two delicious cookies.

So who was the winner? Turns out, it wasn't really a competition after all. How can you compare a buttery crisp with a light and fluffy chew? They turned out so differently, that it was an uncomparable choice. 
I still can't say if they are for sure "the best ever", but both recipes were pretty darn good. 
The first recipe, was thin and crisp. The first batch to bake were fairly crumbly at first, so I chilled the rest of the batter for about a half an hour before cooking, and they tuned out great.{They got eaten too fast , so there are no pictures of them here}
The second recipe, which I adapted from a recipe on Food Network Canada's website, has a secret ingredient of cornstarch to make it light and fluffy. These cookies definitely turned out that way, so much so in fact, that I think I probably could have left out the xanthum gum.
So my friends, I will let you decide which recipe you prefer. 



Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe #1

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dairy free butter{salted}, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups Gluten Free all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon xanthum gum
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons hot water
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts {optional}
Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F 
  • Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. 
  • Drop by large spoonfuls onto un-greased pans.Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned. Makes approx. 2 dozen.




Chocolate Cookie recipe #2


Ingredients
3/4 c. dairy free butter{salted}, softened 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar 
1 egg 
2 tsp. vanilla extract 
2 c. Gluten Free all purpose flour 
1 tsp. xanthum gum
2 tsp. cornstarch 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1 c. chocolate chips

Directions
   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
   Cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
   Drop dough onto a prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. 
Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack for five minutes.  Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely.  Makes approximately 3 dozen.