20130326

Gluten Free White cake


Growing up, my mother always made a special cake for each of our birthdays. We got to choose the flavor of the cake, the filling, the frosting and what color sprinkle it would have. She would than make said cake, from scratch {or a box, nothing to be ashamed about :) } and hide it in the back of the fridge until after dinner, when the baked creation would be revealed. 
For some weird reason, I always wanted a store bought cake. All my friends got store bought cakes, and in my young mind I thought that homemade was inferior to store bought. 
Now I know better. 
My mom is really just the bomb-diggity.
Anyway, in my early teens I started on an anti homemade cake phase for a couple years. This phase was enabled by the recent opening of a Costco down the street. One year it was a birthday pie (I was anti cake in general that year, for some reason) the next a giant sheet cake with fluffy strawberry mouse and a purple princess piped on top. 
But then, Duff Goldman and food network entered my life.
I wanted to try my hand at all those creations, and various frosting techniques. 
So that next birthday I made my own cake. 
I baked up some fresh cake, trimmed it until it was perfect and smeared it with fluffy white frosting. 
I rolled and shaped some fresh fondant to cover it, and piped out a swirly white design to the sides.
Ever since then, I have used my birthday cake as a vessel to try out new things. 
Even though I prefer a layered cake to cupcakes any day, a real cake only ever really gets made for birthdays around here. Which means I make plenty of cakes for other people, to their likings; but not to experiment with.


This years project had two parts; to try out frosting rosettes and to finally create delicious dairy and gluten free white/yellow cake. A lot of chocolate cake is had around here, as it is amazingly scrumptious. But a good white cake had yet to happen. They always turned out dry, or with a funny taste.
But not this one guys.
This one was great. 
I'm really pretty excited about it.

As for the rosettes, they worked out, but it definitely needs more practice.


 I filled the cake with fresh made dairy free lemon curd, which is one of my favorite sweet things on the planet.
 I ate a lot of this cake, and I'm still trying to recover from it.
Sugar is not my friend for sure..... 
{but it was kinda worth it..}

Heres the recipe:



Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. That is a seriously beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marlen! I think I still would be pretty excited if I was greeted with smiley pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carina,
    HI. What is your GF blend used for this cake it looks great. Also, Only 3 layers are pictured and the recipe calls for 4 cake tins. Should I plan for 4 layers or 3? Thank you! Lenora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lenora! For this cake, I used King Arthur Flours GF blend. I have also used Trader Joe's GF blend successfully. Sorry about the confusion over the amount of layers--I only made three, but ended up trimming about an inch off the tops of each layer, which would have basically equaled a whole cake! (they rounded over the top) So I would plan for four layers. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Carina,
    HI. What is your GF blend used for this cake it looks great. Also, Only 3 layers are pictured and the recipe calls for 4 cake tins. Should I plan for 4 layers or 3? Thank you! Lenora

    ReplyDelete