20150401

Paleo German Chocolate Cake



Last Sunday was my birthday! 
It was super low key because the weekend before we were in San Francisco, and in my old age I don't really care too much about my birthday anymore.

It's just an excuse to eat cake, really.
A cake that everyone on restrictive diets could eat, which meant a cake without cane sugar, dairy gluten or grains.

And yes, I make my own birthday cakes. I enjoy doing it, and have the excuse to make it however I want because it's my day and I can do whatever I want.



I chose to make an easy chocolate cake with a german chocolate cakes coconut frosting. I did this because:
A) how do you make a delicious frosting without powdered sugar and butter.and 
B) it is the best frosting ever. 
Unless you are a small child related to me, then you probably don't like it.

To make this recipe, I just used one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes and tweaked it to what is essentially a paleo recipe. 
Unintentional paleo, is what the majority of my baking recipes these days are.

The resulting cake is an incredibly delicious dessert. It's like a candy bar/brownie/cake all got together to make a tasty layered treat.

And since it is basically just a bunch of nuts, that means it must be healthy. That is what I told myself anyway, as I was making this recipe into a bar like situation yesterday, and while I was shoving them all into my mouth.
Protein, was my excuse.


It may not look like much, but it tastes like a lot.
But don't just take my word for it, try it for yourself!



























Enjoy! xoxox

2 comments: