20120213

Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake



Happy Valentines day!
In honor of this red heart holiday, I bring to you the gluten free, dairy free, red velvet cupcake. Before now, I have never made red velvet cake before, in fact I've never even tasted red velvet cake before. I decide to try out Bakerellas recipe, with the gluten and dairy free adjustments, of course.
It worried me a little bit with the excessive amount of red food dye it needed, and the batter had a strange, goopy texture; but they tasted pretty amazing! I think I may try them again some time without all the dye, and see what it ends up like.


Here it is:
Red Velvet Cupcakes

2 1/2 cups Gluten Free all purpose flour + 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthum gum
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk {to make dairy free-add 1-2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup dairy free milk and let sit for about 10 mins}
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 oz. red food coloring



  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line trays with cupcake papers.
  • Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
  • Place all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together with another wire whisk.
  • Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
  • Pour into cupcake pans and drop the pans on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
  • Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Once cool, frost and sprinkle!
  • Makes 24 cupcakes 


I decided to get a little crafty, and copy these from Bakerella, into an edible version. My original concept was to cover gluten free pretzel sticks with white chocolate, make colored chocolate hearts from a mold tray, and use half a heart for an arrow. It didn't quite become what I imagined in my mind...this is how it turned out. I'll definitely have to rethink the plan for next February :)